Oatmeal is one of the best breakfasts in the world and this Instant Pot Steel Cut Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal is no exception. There's nothing like a warm bowl of oatmeal, topped with some fruit or nuts to start your day right. Add an apple and some cinnamon to that breakfast, and it turns into a masterpiece that will have you doing handsprings out the door.
What are Steel Cut Oats
Steel cut oats are the healthier, less processed version of the regular instant and rolled oats. Due to their lack of processing, they have a lower glycemic index and make it more difficult for our digestive system to break down the starch found in the oats. The result is a nutrition-packed breakfast that will keep you full and satisfied for longer.
Why Use The Instant Pot
Normally, steel cut oats take a long time to cook. Most people prefer to do them overnight in the slow cooker or leave them soaking for hours to get the right consistency. However, let's be honest. Having made slow cooker oats, I know that you are often left with burnt edges and that niggling fear in the back of your head that an appliance is running all night. And if you have a slow cooker without an auto turn-off option, then sleeping in isn't an option.
The Instant Pot is a game changer from that perspective. You can have perfectly smooth, deliciously creamy steel cut oats in under 30 minutes. You can use that time make those beds and get those teeth brushed. I own the Instant Pot Duo60 7-in-1 Multicolor, and you can check it out right here.
I hope you try this recipe and love it. We love it in our home and it's a common weekday breakfast for us.
Instant Pot Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 whole apple cored and diced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3 cups liquid we use 2 cups milk and 1 cup water
- berries or nuts for garnish
- Melt the butter in the pot, and add the steel cut oats and toast them lightly.
- Add the apples, the sugar, salt, cinnamon and liquid.
- Set the pot to cook for 10 minutes on the Porridge setting. Let natural release.
- Serve with your choice of nuts, fruit or other toppings.For leftovers, warm on the stovetop or microwave with a splash of milk to get to your desired consistency.