In our home, the green peas are basically one of the few veggies that everyone will eat without complaining too much. With our little one sick with Strep, it is SO hard to find him stuff that he'll happily eat. One thing that he loves is rice, but how to add more nutrition to it. This green pea pilau is perfect. It's cooked in bone broth made in the IP to give it added nutrients and flavor AND the peas mean that he's consuming some veggies at least. Served with yogurt, it is basically the only thing he's eating happily. The best part, of course, is that it's ready in under 20 minutes using the instant pot.
I use my 6qt IP DUO60 for this meal. Even though I have multiple instant pots it's the one I use, and love, the most. Keep scrolling down for the recipe and don't forget to leave a comment letting me know how it turned out for you!
Happy Eating 🙂
Green Pea Pilau
- 1 whole Onion
- 1 tbsp Butter or Ghee
- 1 tbsp Chopped garlic and ginger or 1/2 tsp ginger/garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 stick Cinnamon
- 2 cups Long Grain Basmati Rice
- 1 cup Frozen Green Peas
- 2.5 cup Bone Broth, plain broth or water
- Turn on the Instant Pot to the Saute setting on Normal and wait until display reads HOT
- Add the butter/ghee and the onions and cook until onions are translucent
- Add the ginger garlic and cook until fragrant
- Add all your spices including the cinnamon stick.
- Add the frozen peas and let them simmer in the spices for a few minutes to absorb some of the flavour
- Pour in the broth and mix well.
- Rinse the rice thoroughly and add that to your pot.
- Place the lid on the IP and turn to lock it. Make sure the knob is on the sealing position
- Turn off the pot, then press the Manual button and set it to cook for 6 minutes
- Once the cook is done, let NPR for 5 minutes and then Quick Release. Fluff the rice with a fork.
- Serve with your choice of protein or eat on its own with yogurt and other veggies.
Thank you so much!