For those of you who follow me on instagram @themindfulglutton, you know that I've had a rough few months. Since getting pneumonia in August, I've just been getting sick frequently and struggling with keeping up with life. One of the things that has kept me sane and made getting dinner on the table for the family easier is my Instant Pot. I love this device SO, SO much.
Today, I'm sharing one of our family favorites and a dish where quick, easy and delicious meet. It takes literally 10 minutes to put together and is ready in less than half an hour (that's including the time coming to pressure and releasing) and most of the ingredients to fix this are likely already in your pantry. I use my Instant Pot Duo60 7-in-1 which is the first IP I ever bought and it's still the one I reach for the most (I have 3 now)!
In our house, we serve this with a mediterranean style tomato, cucumber and onion salad topped with feta and a delicious tomato sauce. The sauce is just a whole tomato, 2 whole dried red chillies or 1/2 green chilli, 3 tbsp lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. I use my trusty Magic Bullet to blend it in seconds and it always turns out perfect.
Without further ado, here's the recipe for this delicious meal!
Instant Pot Mediterranean Tomato Chicken & Rice Dinner
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small Onion
- 1 tbsp Chopped garlic and ginger or 1/2 tsp ginger/garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 heaping tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups White basmati rice, rinsed
- 2.5 cups Chicken stock plus 1/4 cup
- 1 whole Chicken Breast- cubed small
- Turn on your Instant Pot to the sauté setting on medium.
- Once the display reads "HOT, add the oil and the onions. Let the onions brown until they're golden. Then add the fresh ginger and garlic or the paste. Let cook for a minute until incorporated and add the extra 1/4 cup stock.
- Add all the spices and let the mixture simmer for a minute. Then add the tomato paste and mix it all together. Once the mixture has thickened a bit, a minute or so, add the chicken and mix it to coat thoroughly.
- Immediately add the rice and the stock and give it a good stir. Make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom or your pot won't come to pressure. *TIP: If you're in a rush, using hot broth will reduce the time it takes your pot to come to pressure.
- Place the lid and lock it. Make sure the knob is on sealing. Turn the pot off, then select Manual and adjust to 7 minutes.
- Once the cook is done and the clock starts counting down, wait 5 minutes and then quick release. Make sure the pin has dropped completely before opening the lid and fluffing up the rice.
- Service with a salad and spicy tomato sauce and yogurt on the side!