We live in Chicago- which means 6 months out of the year, we are experiencing some bone chilling cold weather. It’s not called the Windy City for no reason. The wind here makes you want to layer up and hide inside until April comes. Given our cold weather, we are big fans of soup. One of our family favorites is Tomato Basil Soup and this recipe reminds me of my favorite soup which is Nordstrom’s Tomato Basil served in their little cafe. Here’s how you can make it in your Instant Pot.
Happy souping everyone!
Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup
- 1 Yellow onion chopped
- 2 Chopped carrots
- 4 tbsp Good olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dried basil
- 2 tins Large San Marzano Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- Salt pepper and chilli flakes to taste
- 4 cups Chicken stock/broth or water
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream
- Turn on your Instant Pot on sauté and adjust until the display reads More. Let heat up until the screen says HOT
- Add your olive oil, carrots and onions and cook for a few minutes until softened
- Add the dried basil and let cook another few minutes for the flavors to infuse
- Add your whole peeled tomatoes, chicken stock and seasoning and mix together
- Scrape the bottom of your pot to make sure nothing is stuck and then place the lid. Turn off the pot and then set to Soup for 30 minutes. Let NPR
- Once the pressure has released, open the lid. Using an immersion blend, blend the soup to your desired consistency.
- Add in 1/2 cup of heavy cream and any more seasoning if you desire.
- Served with a hot grilled cheese sandwich and fall in love with your Instant Pot all over again