I purchased the Instant Pot about 2 years ago on Black Friday. Since then, it has been an absolute lifesaver for me. In the beginning, I was obviously obsessed with the quick and delicious mac'n'cheese, mashed potatoes, and everything that was unhealthy. Since I started my health and wellness journey, it has proved indispensable in helping me make quick meals that are also healthy and delicious. I currently have the Instant Pot Duo60 7-in-1 and the Instant Pot Ultra. I love them both but would definitely recommend the Duo for beginners.
What is Chicken Tikka Masala
Chicken tikka masala is basically a curry based chicken that is cooked with tikka spices with a tangy kick- red chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper, all marinated with a tiny bit of yogurt and lemon juice. This Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala recipe is the bomb! It's one of my favorite meals. Before I started eating healthy, I'd eat this with piping hot naan bread or rice. Nowadays, I eat it with lettuce or a tomato, cucumber and onion salad dressed with salt, pepper and lemon juice. My family, however, still enjoys it with the naan and literally lick their plates clean. The best part is that it only takes about 30 minutes to make in the IP and only 10 minutes of that is actual, hands-on work. You'll find the printable recipe below. Don't forget to share 🙂
Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- 1 whole Chicken Breast- cubed
- 1/4 cup Yogurt
- 2 tbsp Red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp Cumin powder
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 pinch Garam Masala
- 1/2 Lemon, fresh squeezed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 whole Green chilli- diced
- 2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp Cumin powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 15 oz can Tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup Heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Chicken stock
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl. Add the cubed chicken breast, cover and let marinate for about 20-30 minutes.
Making the Curry
- Turn your Instant Pot on by pressing the Sauté button. Once the display reads hot, add the butter until it melts. Add the green chillies and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add all the spices (except for the salt and pepper) to the butter and saute until fragrant. It takes about 1-2 minutes and your kitchen will smell amazing.
- Add the tomato sauce (I mixed mine with the chicken stock). Stir well until all the spices have combined and the sauce starts bubbling.
- Add the heavy cream and the salt and pepper and let cook down for about 5 minutes. Taste the sauce to make sure that the spices are right for you. If you feel like something is missing, add it in at this point.
- Add in the chicken, give it a quick stir, and place the lid on the Instant Pot. Turn the pot off, and then press the Poultry button and adjust the timer to 8 minutes. The pot will beep to signal that it's started building pressure.
- Once the cooking cycle is done, let the IP depressurize naturally for 5 minutes and then quick release by turning the valve. Once the pin has dropped, remove the lid and stir the contents until everything is well mixed. If you feel that the sauce is too runny, remove the chicken pieces and set the pot back on saute. Otherwise, just leave the pot on Keep Warm mode.
- Serve with rice, piping hot naan or on top of a salad or with lettuce wraps. Lick your plate clean and come back for seconds.
I hope you try this recipe and make it again, and again. I'd love to hear what you think and any changes I can make to make it even better.
Have a wonderful day!