Growing up, daal and rice was one of our favourite comfort foods. My parents always made it when one of us was feeling sick, or down or on a day when we'd all had a long crazy day and wanted something hot, spicy and comforting. My mom would alway serve it with a chopped tomato, cucumber and onion salad dressed with salt, pepper and lemon juice. To date, it remains one of the most constant and favourite memories of eating with my family. I've continued that tradition with both my kids and our family also loves this meal.
Before I got my Instant Pot, I'd always make the daal on a stovetop pressure cooker and the rice on another burner beside it. Once I discovered the PIP method, I've been making it in the same pot at the same time and its always, always fantastic. I have the Instant Pot Duo60 7-in-1 and use the Ikea Blanda bowl as the inner pot. Not only that, we can have our favourite meal on the table in 20 minutes. The printable recipe is below and remember, sharing is caring. If you know someone who'd love this recipe, please share it with them.
Instant Pot Lentils (Daal) & Rice
- 1/2 cup Red masoor lentils (daal) Soak for 5-10 minutes if time allows
- 3/4 cup Yellow moong lentils (daal)
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 small Onion (diced)
- 2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 medium Roma Tomatoes Quartered
- 2 cups Stock
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup Basmati Rice Rinsed until water is clear
- 1 1/4 cup Water
- 1 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
Tadka (finishing oil)- Optional
- 1 tbsp Ghee/oil
- 1 tsp Whole cumin seeds
- 1 whole red chilli
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- Turn the pot on sauté until the display reads HOT
- Add the ghee and wait until it's melted. Add the onions and saute until translucent.
- Add all the spices and cook for a 1-2, until fragrant.
- Add the rinsed daals, water/stock, tomatoes and mix everything together. Let come to a boil.
- Wash the trivet that comes with your IP and make sure its thoroughly cleaned and dry
- Place the trivet in the pot so that it's sitting on/over the daal.
- Add the rinsed rice to an oven safe pyrex or a stainless steel bowl. Add the water, oil and salt and mix to combine
- Place the bowl carefully in the pot on top of the trivet. The Instant Pot gloves come in super handy when doing this.
- Put the lid on and lock it in place. Set the pot to cook for 7 minutes on High Pressure. QR once the cooking cycle is done.
- Carefully remove the bowl with the rice from the pot and place it on a cutting board- be careful as it will be dirty on the bottom (definitely don't put it on a light coloured counter surface because the turmeric does stain) Remove the trivet from the daal using tongs and place it in your sink
- Mix the daal together and make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom.
Tadka (finishing oil)
- In a small frying pan, melt the ghee until it's hot. Add the cumin seeds, garlic and whole chilli. Saute for a few minutes until fragrant and then pour over the daal. Before serving, mix well. Enjoy with a chopped tomato, cucumber and onion salad.